GameDevHQ Intensive Training Week 01 / Week 08 [Day 1]
My apologies if the way I start on this post sound cliché 😅 still getting used to in writing blog post.
Long story short I am participating in the 8 week intensive training from GameDevHQ and I am really excited.
We are making a tower defense system in this training and each week we are given a task / assignment that we need to complete in order to finish the game. The entire training is not aimed at those that are accustomed to seeing videos and wait to have all the answers; this type of training is not spoon fed and you need to learn how to search for answers and read documentation in order to complete the tasks.
Starting off for Day 1 for week 1, at first I needed to say that I was scared when I saw all the tasks but once I breathed in and broke down the task I was able to have solid ideas of what I needed to do.
This where the following task:
- Bake Navmesh Floor
- AI Should only walk the baked path
- AI should walk 1.5 meters per second (adjustable in the inspector)
- AI has health properties
- AI have warFund (currency) value for being killed
- Modular class to support multiple enemy types
- Walk Animations Playing by Default
- Create start & end points on the map
- Turn the SpawnManager into a Singleton
- Spawn Enemies at the start position
- Randomize enemy types
- Assign target destination one spawned
- The appropriate delay between spawns
- Keep Environment tidy when spawning
- Recycle Enemies not Destroyed
- Wave System (Amount to spawn = 10 * currentWave)
- Use Object Pooling
For the first day I decided to only tackle the AI System. Personally it was the first time that I used Navmesh so it took me a while to cheat myself in having a solid walkable path for my enemy to walk on. Then I added the EnemyAI script and added the following property like health, speed walk and used an Enum to have a way to select what type of enemy is the one holding the script so different enemies can have different speeds, different heath values and different rewards to give the player.
For my first day I am really proud 😆
Next up is to tackle the Spawn manager…to be continue